Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Candied Pumpkin Seeds Recipe


I adore pumpkins.  Seriously.  I adore them so much that my husband proposed to me in the middle of a pumpkin patch.  I'm a fan of their symbolism, their appearance, and especially their taste.  So it should be no surprise that I love what's inside of them:  Pumpkin seeds!  Pumpkin seeds are actually quite healthy and having them as a regular part of your diet provides you with many healthy benefits.  Although, I'm sure making candied pumpkin seeds voids all those healthy vitamins and minerals and puts your glycemic index on the roller coaster of its life.  But heck, they're small - like m&m's, so go for it!  Oh.  And I hate to bust your bubble, but did you know that you have to walk the entire length of a football field to burn off all the calories you just ingested from one single, stinking m&m? But who's counting?  Really?

I enjoy using different flavors when working with pumpkin seeds.  Sometimes a little sea salt and a good roast is all they need to reach perfection.  This time, however, I had a specific idea in mind and wanted to sprinkle these little suckers over a delicious autumn salad.  I think it was the perfect final touch.  They had a nice combination of spicy and sweet, pairing amazingly with the salad... but trust me, they are great to just nibble on alone!


Candied Pumpkin Seeds
-makes 1/2 cup

1/2 c pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp chili powder

Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and place over medium high.  Cook until the sugar begins to melt and coats the pumpkin seeds in all its sugary goodness.  Pour pumpkin seeds out onto a cookie sheet and allow to cool.  Break into pieces and place in an air tight container.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Favorites More