Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Back to the Beginning


I'm a huge fan of the cheddar + apple + egg combination.  The first brunch I made once my husband and I moved in together was Martha Stewart's cheddar apple frittata.  I'm pretty sure I ate 3/4's of the dish myself. 

I'm also a huge fan of individual portioned meals.  It just makes it a heck of a lot easier for me to freeze the left over portions when they are already divided.  This way, I don't plan on freezing half of the dish, and end up eating 3/4's of it in one sitting...

I got the ispiration of using mugs from a user on Pinterest.com who made the dish with thoughts of her son in mind.  Now, I didn't make the same egg dish as her, but I'm sure hers was just as scrumptious as mine.  I mean, who could go wrong with apples + cheddar cheese?  And really?  Why stop there.  I added some walnuts and bacon.  Because, you know... everything is better with bacon. 


Apple Cheddar {Walnut & Bacon} Egg Bake
-serves 4

1 c & 2 tbsp egg whites
2 apples (cored and cubed)
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
5 strips of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
1/4 cup walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Spray 4 coffee mugs* (or ramekins) with non-stick cooking spray. 
Pour the egg whites into a large bowl, add the apples, cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles, and walnuts.  Mix until all ingredients are incorporated into the eggs.

Scoop into the mugs/ramekins.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. 



*NOTE:  My coffee mugs are extremely small.  When I bought them, my mom made fun of how small they were.  My husband even bought me a new mug that says "My Big Mug" on the front of it.  Well, because they are so small, my eggs bubbled over.  Way over.  There was a mess.  Thankfully I'm smart and put a cookie sheet below them.  If you have small mugs as well, you might need to seperate the egg mixture into 5 mugs.

FREEZE IT:  Because these are already portioned out, they are extremely easy to freeze.  Just slide a knife around the edge of the mug and the egg bake should fall right out.  Allow to cool completely and wrap in foil.  Slide each foil wrapped egg bake into a plastic freezer bag, label, and pop in the freezer.  These make convenient breakfasts for when you've woken up late for work or just don't feel like preparing something from scratch. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Favorites More